The Moussem of Tan-tan - Tourism In Morocco
"The Moussem de Tan-Tan, in southwestern Morocco, is an annual meeting of Saharawi nomads that brings together more than thirty tribes from southern Morocco, as well as tribes from adjacent countries."
Every year, around the month of May, it was recorded in the agro-pastoral calendar of the nomads.
It was the time for meetings, trade, the exchange of information, camel and horse competitions, but it was also the time to celebrate marriages, visits and reconciliations.
This event was an occasion to celebrate various cultural manifestations such as music, folk songs, games, poetry jousting, and other Hassani oral traditions.
This ceremony took the form of a mussem after the death of Mohamed Laghdaf, saint and fiery resister, in 1963, giving him this sacred element.
UNESCO declared it Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity in 2005 and included it in the Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity in 2008″.
The spirit of Tan-Tan Moussem
Moussem, by Tan Tan, is a living and unique testimony to the richness and complexity of the cultural history of the Saharawi nomads.
This annual event represents peace and tolerance and serves as a meeting point for cultural and economic exchange between the tribes of the region.
The Moussem de Tan-Tan is an annual meeting of Saharawi peoples that brings together more than thirty tribes from southern Morocco and other nomadic peoples from northwest Africa.
The Tan-Tan moussem is a wonderful opportunity for the region's tribes to meet and reunite with their ancestors.
In addition to the joy of the reunion and other festive and commercial activities, it also allows the notables and dignitaries of the tribes to address issues relevant to their lives and their social unit.
Also read: Kalaat M'gouna in Morocco
a decade of emotions
The Moussem has gained notoriety, fame and recognition in recent years, thanks to the presence of numerous prestigious guests, including eminent personalities from the world of culture, arts and cinema, science and the media, ministers, ambassadors, professors, researchers, members of internationally renowned associations... Who participated in the celebrations of the Place of Peace and Tolerance?
- 2004: His Royal Highness Prince Moulay Rachid and Mr. Koichiro Matsuura, Director General of UNESCO, launch the inaugural edition of Moussem de Tan Tan after several years of hiatus in 2004.
- 2005: UNESCO declared it a «Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity».
- 2008: Attended by members of the Explorers Club of New York and its president, Alan Nichols.
- 2013: Tan-Tan Moussem inscribed on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
- 2014: The United Arab Emirates is the guest of honor at the tenth edition of the Moussem.
- 2015: The 11th edition of the Moussem honors Tunisia, and the State of the United Arab Emirates is a constant partner of the Almouggar Foundation in the organization of the Moussem.
- 2016: The Tan Tan moussem, confluence of multiple Morocco, celebrates the 12 regions of the Kingdom.
- 2017: Senegal stands out as a cultural treasure shared by Morocco and Africa. Barid el Maghrib issued a special postage stamp in honor of the musim.
- 2018: The People's Republic of China is honored by Tan-Tan moussem, a vector of Hassan's cultural impact.
This internationally recognized event aims to commemorate nomadic culture by highlighting and preserving the many features of citizens' daily existence as a tool for the region's long-term development.
The success of Visión Real in the cultural field is confirmed by UNESCO's recognition of this moussem and its registration as a masterpiece of oral and intangible heritage.